Monday, May 24, 2010

I chose three icons that spans every age group to show three icons that I have dealt with on a personal level. The first icon I chose is Lego building blocks. Lego’s are fun toys for young kids to learn how to build with and create imaginary objects. The second icon is the PS3 game system. This game system is geared more towards teenagers, and gives them hours of enjoyment. Finally, the third icon is the Harley Davidson Motorcycles which is geared towards the big boys so they can have fun, too.
I chose the Lego build blocks because when my children was little we had so many Lego’s in my house. They were everywhere and I could not go into a store without my children recognizing the Lego symbol. They loved playing with the Lego’s but the only problem was that we never had enough special pieces. I mean the pieces like the wheels, tires, steering wheels, or anything to build a proper car. This always caused arguments between the two of them and caused me to buy more and more Lego’s, I think this is how the Lego Company sold so many pieces. So I can say that the Lego icon means to mean hours of play time for my children and a few moments of arguments over the special pieces.
Second I chose the Play Station 3 game system and that is because as my children have grown older they have gone from fighting over Lego’s to fighting over the PS3 game system. So this icon means more money to spend to try to keep the children entertained and to make them happy.
Finally the last icon, the Harley Davidson Motorcycle, makes me think of the ability to relax and not hear my children fight over the PS3. Now that my children are older I can take a ride with my husband and forget about the fighting, which started over Lego’s and now involved to the PS3, and just feel the wind through my hair.

Image retrieved on May 24, 2010 from

Image retrieved on May 24, 2010 from

Image retrieved on May 24, 2010 from

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post! I am also a lego fan as to it teaches creativity to young children! Also having a Harley is wonderful! Being able to get out and enjoy the scenery and let your hair flow in the wind. This is a GREAT relaxation technique! I would definitely be doing the same if I had a motorcycle myself. Great choices for your icons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem only it was with the windows. My daughters always wanted to build the houses that were on the box. I'm not sure we ever succeeded but we came close a few times. I think Legos are a great pop culture icon, one I would have never thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes legos! How could I forget. Those are enjoyable for even big kids :)

    Harley 's are not just for the big boys, but big girls too! ;)

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked reading your post. I like how you incorporate all of the age groups in your icon analysis. I think every generation is getting their own video game system these days.

    ReplyDelete